For the city of Versailles, see Versailles, Yvelines. Gardens of Versailles: La ville, le château, le jardin, Trianon et le parc PDF 凡爾賽花園 – panoramio.
Nouvelle édition actualisée en 2015
France from 1682, under Louis XIV, until the start of the French Revolution in 1789, under Louis XVI. In 2017 the Palace of Versailles received 7,700,000 visitors, making it the second-most visited monument in the Île-de-France region, just behind the Louvre and ahead of the Eiffel Tower. The garden facade of the chateau of Louis XIII in 1660-64. The palace in 1668 during the first reconstruction. The facade of the palace facing the garden in 1675. The site of the Palace was first occupied by a small village and church, surrounded by forests filled with abundant game.
It was owned by the Gondi family and the priory of Saint Julian. King Henry IV went hunting there in 1589, and returned in 1604 and 1609, staying in the village inn. After this event, Louis XIII decided to make his hunting lodge at Versailles into a château. 1634 had the architect Philibert Le Roy replace the hunting lodge with a château of brick and stone with classical pilasters in the doric style and high slate-covered roofs, surrounding the courtyard of the original hunting lodge. Louis XIV first visited the château on a hunting trip in 1651 at the age of twelve, but returned only occasionally until his marriage to Maria Theresa of Spain in 1660 and the death of Cardinal Mazarin in 1661, after which he suddenly acquired a passion for the site.
Initially he added two wings to the forecourt, one for servants quarters and kitchens, the other for stables. The two apartments were separated by a marble terrace, overlooking the garden, with a fountain in the center. The interior decoration was assigned to Charles Le Brun. Le Brun supervised the work of a large group of sculptors and painters, called the Petite Academie, who crafted and painted the ornate walls and ceilings. Le Brun also supervised the design and installation of countless statues in the gardens. In 1670, Le Vau added a new pavilion northwest of the chateau, called the Trianon, for the King’s relaxation in the hot summers.
It was surrounded by flowerbeds and decorated entirely with blue and white porcelain, in imitation of the Chinese style. The King increasingly spent his days in Versailles, and the government, court, and courtiers, numbering six to seven thousand persons, crowded into the buildings. The King ordered a further enlargement, which he entrusted to the young architect Jules Hardouin-Mansart. After the death of Maria Theresa of Spain in 1683, Louis XIV undertook the enlargement and remodeling of the royal apartments in the original part of the palace, within the former hunting lodge built by his father. Louis XIV died in 1715, and the young new King, Louis XV, just five years old, and his government were moved temporarily from Versailles to Paris under the regency of Philippe II, Duke of Orléans.