The trench with the lower section of the meridian arc. In Ulugh Beg’s time, these samarkand PDF were lined with polished marble. The Ulugh Beg Observatory is an observatory in Samarkand, Uzbekistan. In 1420, the great astronomer Ulugh Beg built a madrasah in Samarkand, named the Ulugh Beg Madrassah.
It became an important center for astronomical study and only invited scholars to study at the university whom he personally approved of and respected academically and at its peak had between 60 and 70 astronomers working there. However, the observatory was destroyed by religious fanatics in 1449 and was only re-discovered in 1908, by an Uzbek-Russian archaeologist from Samarkand named V. Vyatkin, who discovered an endowment document that stated the observatory’s exact location. While working at the excavation site, Vyatkin found one of the most important astronomical instruments used at the observatory: A large arch that had been used to determine midday. A trench of about 2 metres wide was dug in a hill along the line of the Meridian and in it was placed the arc of the instrument.
Before the time of Ptolemy 1,022 fixed stars had been observed. Ptolemy has given them in a catalogue in the Almagest. The stars are distributed in six magnitudes: The largest are of the first and the smallest of the sixth magnitude. These discoveries and research conducted at Ulugh Beg Observatory were very important at the time as astronomers could predict eclipses and calculate the hour of the rising sun and altitude of a celestial body, and meant their hypothesis of a stellar year was rather accurate, at 365 days, 6 hours, 10 minutes and 8 seconds, only about 1 minute longer than the modern calculations. The entrance of the observatory has been modified several times in recent years.
Zij astronomical table and star catalogue that was published by Ulugh Beg in 1437. It was the joint product of the work of a group of Muslim astronomers working under the patronage of Ulugh Beg at the Samarkand observatory. The Ulug Beg Observatory Museum was built in 1970 to commemorate Ulugh Beg. The museum contains reproductions of the Arabic manuscripts Ulug Beg’s star charts, the Zij-i Sultani, and of important European printed editions of Uulgh beg’s work. It also contains astrolabes and other instruments as well as a miniature reconstruction of the observatory itself.
Kazım Çeçen, Istanbul 1999, Omaş ofset A. The Fontana History of Astronomy and Cosmology. General Survey of Arabic Astronomy, Encyclopaedia. Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ulugh Beg Observatory. Journal for the History of Arabic Science. Cet article est une ébauche concernant une commune de Castille-et-León. Consultez la liste des tâches à accomplir en page de discussion.