Long the aristocratic district of Paris, it hosts many outstanding buildings of historic and le guide du musée du quai Branly PDF importance. In 1240, the Order of the Temple built its fortified church just outside the walls of Paris, in the northern part of the Marais. King Henri IV of France in 1605, the Marais was the French nobility’s favorite place of residence.
Abondamment illustré, le guide du musée du quai Branly permet de découvrir les richesses patrimoniales de cette institution culturelle. S’ouvrant sur un portfolio consacré au bâtiment
conçu par Jean Nouvel, il parcourt ensuite les collections permanentes dans le sens de la visite, à travers les quatre continents qui les constituent :
Océanie, Asie, Afrique et Amériques. Plusieurs niveaux d’information sont proposés : un texte principal découpé en séquences, axé sur les objets présentés de façon permanente, des encadrés sur divers thèmes transversaux, sur des points forts du contexte historique, sur une série d’objets particuliers ou une technique, des chronologies et des cartes géographiques. Il évoque aussi d’autres espaces constitutifs de la vie du musée : la tour des instruments de musique, le dispositif de la Rivière, la médiathèque. Il apporte enfin tous les renseignements pratiques relatifs aux ressources (expositions temporaires, auditorium, médiathèque) et aux services accessibles au visiteur. Ce guide est non seulement un outil d’initiation, une aide précieuse à la visite, mais il favorise également une meilleure compréhension de l’art et de la culture
des continents représentés dans ce musée.
During the late 18th century, the district was no longer the most fashionable district for the nobility, yet it still kept its reputation of being an aristocratic area. By that time, only minor nobles and a few more powerful nobles, such as the Prince de Soubise, lived there. The Place des Vosges remained a place for nobles to meet. After the French Revolution, the district was no more the aristocratic district it once was during the 17th and 18th centuries. Because of this, the district became a popular and active commercial area, hosting one of Paris’ main Jewish communities. The synagogue on 10 rue Pavée is adjacent to the rue des Rosiers.
In 1982, Palestinan terrorists murdered 6 people and injured 22 at a Jewish restaurant in Le Marais, Chez Jo Goldenberg, an attack which evidence ties to the Abu Nidal Organization. By the 1950s, the district had become a working-class area and most of its architectural masterpieces were in a bad state of repair. These were meant to protect and conserve places of special cultural significance. The Marais is now one of Paris’ main localities for art galleries. Following its rehabilitation, the Marais has become a fashionable district, home to many trendy restaurants, fashion houses, and hip galleries. The Marais is also known for the Chinese community it hosts.
The community began to appear during World War I. At that time, France needed workers to replace its at-war soldiers and China decided to send a few thousand of its citizens on the condition that they would not take part in the war. After the 1918 victory, some of them decided to stay in Paris, specifically living around the current rue au Maire. Other features of the neighbourhood include the Musée Picasso, the house of Nicolas Flamel, the Musée Cognacq-Jay, and the Musée Carnavalet.
Le Marais became a centre of LGBT culture, beginning in the 1980s. LGBT businesses in Paris are in Le Marais. Florence Tamagne, author of Paris: ‘Resting on its Laurels’? This hôtel remained until 1868, and the rue du Roi-de-Sicile is named after it.